LibreTechnica shares knowledge about technologies developed for the benefit of the commons. By promoting open-source technologies that are free from and resistant to corporate control, government censorship, political coercion, and environmental harm, we can together heighten and sustain the common good.
LibreTechnica’s mission is to encourage others to learn and adopt technologies for the benefit of the commons. Some example of our activities are:
- Teaching people how to protect their privacy with secure messaging apps and email services
- Introducing computer users to the Linux operating system and other open-source software
- Promoting sustainable technologies, practices, and policies
- Helping small business and non-profit organizations implement free and open-source software for their infrastructure
- Supporting the deployment of independent, community-based network infrastructure
This mission supports our vision where the people have full knowledge and control over whom their data serves. Through the democratization of technology, we will weaken the strongholds that corporations have on our data and our lives.
Areas of Focus
- Applications: open source software and operating systems, secure messaging, encryption tools
- Services and Infrastructure: self-hosting, decentralized/federated services, OpenStreetMap, censorship-resistant platforms
- Hardware: right-to-repair, 3d printing, makerspaces, DIY home security, re-purposing old technology
- Connectivity: mesh networks, amateur radio
- Policy: While LibreTechnica advocates for policies that favorable to the public at large, the above solutions are intended to work whether or not such policies are adopted.